monolithic apps

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Jan 24 12:25:18 EST 2013

On 01/24/2013 12:06 PM, tamnt54 at gmail.com wrote:
> Any suggestions for study?..:
>   Is is possible to take a large executable with GUI and real time data and images, to extract modules, and it can run as if it looks like a monolithic application (windows over main windows, or images over other images) but is various python script driven modules calling each other as separate apps?

I can see at least 4 things you might mean.  Perhaps you'd better spell
it out.

1) glom all the scripts & binary modules into one big file, so the user
thinks it's one huge app

2) Manipulate multiple gui apps while having the same UI as though there
was just one main window, and other windows all belong to it.  Multiple
GUI processes, but some central control to change the user experience
into resembling a single GUI app.

3) Have one gui app "main" that other apps can somehow call to
manipulate the windows of "main."  Multiple processes, only one of them
with a GUI.

4) From a GUI app, use other apps as loadable modules, and reuse their
class definitions and functions by calling them from the GUI app.  One
process.

You say this a topic for study, but there's a lot of other things you
may need to specify before you get to implementing.  What OS, what
version of Python, what GUI, are these apps modifiable, or are you just
allowed to write glue, ...

--
DaveA