mysql solution

Ferrous Cranus nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:43:53 EST 2013

Τη Πέμπτη, 24 Ιανουαρίου 2013 10:43:59 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Dennis Lee Bieber έγραψε:
> [...]
>

> 	Making presumptions, I'd probably have something like:
>

> SCHEMA:
>

> create table counters
>
> (
>
>   ID integer not null auto_increment primary key,
>
>   URL varchar(255) not null,
>
>   hits integer not null default 1,
>
>   unique index (URL)
>
> );
>

> create table visitors
>
> (
>
>   ID integer not null auto_increment primary key,
>
>   counterID integer not null,
>
>   host varchar(255) not null,
>
>   userOS varchar(255) not null,
>
>   browser varchar(255) not null,
>
>   hits integer not null default 1,
>
>   lastVisit datetime not null,
>
>   foreign key (counterID) references counters (ID),
>
>   unique index (counterID, host)
>
> );
>

> -=-=-=-
>

> con = db.connection()
>

> cur = con.cursor()
>

> try:
>
> 	#find the needed counter for the page URL
>
> 	cur.execute("select ID from counters where URL = %s", (htmlpage, ) )
>
> 	data = cur.fetchone()	#URL is unique, so should only be one
>
> 	if not data:
>
> 		#first time for page; primary key is automatic, hit is defaulted
>
> 		cur.execute("insert into counters (URL) values (%s)",
>
> 						(htmlpage,) )
>
> 		cID = cur.lastrowid	#get the primary key value of the new record
>
> 	else:
>
> 		#found the page, save primary key and use it to issue hit update
>
> 		cID = data[0]
>
> 		cur.execute("update counters set hits = hits + 1 where ID = %s",
>
> 						(cID,) )
>

> 	#find the visitor record for the (saved) cID and current host
>
> 	cur.execute("""select ID from visitors
>
> 					where counterID = %s
>
> 						and host = %s""",
>
> 					(cID, host) )
>
> 	data = cur.fetchone()	#cID&host are unique
>
> 	if not data:
>
> 		#first time for this host on this page, create new record
>
> 		cur.execute("""insert into visitors
>
> 						(counterID, host, userOS, browser, lastVisit)
>
> 						values (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s)""",
>
> 						(cID, host, useros, browser, date) )
>
> 		#primary key and hits are defaulted, don't care about key
>
> 	else:
>
> 		#found the page, save its primary key for later use
>
> 		vID = data[0]
>
> 		#update record using retrieved vID
>
> 		cur.execute("""update visitors set
>
> 							userOS = %s,
>
> 							browser = %s,
>
> 							lastVisit = %s,
>
> 							hits = hits + 1
>
> 						where ID = %s""",
>
> 						(useros, browser, date, vID) )
>

> 	con.commit()	#if we made it here, the transaction is complete
>

> except:		#blind excepts aren't "good", but you get the idea
>
> 			#ANY exception needs to rollback the above sequence
>
> 	con.rollback()	#something failed, rollback the entire transaction
>
> 	print "ERROR DURING hit counter update sequence"

It worked like a charm! Thank you very much!

what do you mean by that?

 " Furthermore, your "visitors" table is only saving the most recent
"useros" and "browser" data... Is that what you really want -- or do you
want to log ALL users that visit the page. "

If the same hostname  visits my webpage multiple times i only update the userOS, bwoswer, date information.

What do you mean?

And also: why does the table 'visitors' ahs to have an auto increment column ID what for?