Python to send Midi commands to iPad via USB

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:44:47 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM,  <mikprog at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I have to do is to write a Python application that will send MIDI commands to an iPad application.
> All I know is that the iPad application can be connected to an external Midi deck through a usb cable and be controlled.
> So I think I would connect the iPad via USB to my computer and... try to send midi commands.

Are you able to hook into ALSA? I've had reasonable success driving a
USB-MIDI cable using ALSA. See if you can do it with the inbuilt
'pmidi' app first:

$ pmidi -p 128:0 No.19.mid

(that uses port 128:0 which is a TiMidity-provided one)

If that works, you can then look for Python ALSA bindings, which I
believe are available on PyPI.

My example is from Linux, so you may need to tweak things on other OSes.

ChrisA