Understanding while...else...

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 06:18:31 EST 2013

On 23 January 2013 11:03, René Klačan <rene.klacan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:

You missed off an important piece of context in your post:

>> I think he meant that he would use the else clause more often if it
>> had the semantics so that the two blocks below were equivalent:

The key word in that sentence is "if".

>> # Version 1
>> while condition:
>>     # stuff
>> else:
>>     # other stuff
>>
>> # Version 2
>> if condition:
>>     while condition:
>>         # stuff
>> else:
>>     # other stuff
>
> they wouldnt be equivalent if #staff in version did not cointain "break"
> statement and this is common mistake

I realise that they are not equivalent. My point was that some people
expect, or would prefer, different behaviour so that those two *would*
be equivalent (assuming that evaluating "condition" doesn't have side
effects).

Oscar