Converting a string to a number by using INT (no hash method)

Ferrous Cranus nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:28:55 EST 2013

Τη Τρίτη, 22 Ιανουαρίου 2013 9:02:48 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Michael Torrie έγραψε:
> On 01/22/2013 11:37 AM, Ferrous Cranus wrote:
>
> > ============================================== pin = int(
>
> > htmlpage.encode("hex"), 16 ) % 10000

> > Can you please explain the differences to what you have posted
>
> > opposed to this perl coding?
>

> > ============================================== foreach my
>
> > $ltr(@ltrs){ $hash = ( $hash + ord($ltr)) %10000;

> > I want to understand this and see it implemented in Python.
>

> It isn't quite the thing.  The perl code is merely a checksum of the
>
> ascii value of the characters in the file name, that is then chopped
>
> down to a number < 10000.  The Python code is taking the ascii value of
>
> each character in the file name, converting it to a hexadecimal pair of
>
> digits, stringing them all out into a long string, then converting that
>
> to a number using the hexadecimal number parser. This results in a
>
> *very* large number, 8-bits per letter in the original file name, and
>
> then chops that down to 10000.  Technically neither method is a hash and
>
> neither will generate unique numbers.
>

> Here's the python algorithm used on a short word:
>
> 'hello' => '68656c6c6f' (h = 0x68', e=0x65', 0x6c', 0=0x6f)
>
> => 0x68656c6c6f => 448378203247
>
> mod that with 10000 and you get 3247
>

> If you would simply run the python interpreter and try these things out
>
> you could see how and why they work or not work.  What is stopping you
>
> from doing this?

May i sent you my code by mail so for you see whats wrong and http://superhost.gr produces error?<br><br>

1. this is not a script that iam being paid for.
2, this is not a class assignemnt

I just want to use that method of gettign this to work.