Converting a string to a number by using INT (no hash method)

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Jan 22 12:04:45 EST 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:27:32 +0000
"Leonard, Arah" <Arah.Leonard at bruker-axs.com> wrote:
> > I just need a way to CONVERT a string(absolute path) to a 4-digit
> > unique number with INT!!! That's all i want!! But i cannot make it
> > work :(

Why bother?  Just wish for a zillion dollars and then you never have to
program again.  At least that would be theoretically possible.

> *might* be able to convert a string that long into some kind of
> 4-digit integer checksum, but you would *never* be able to convert
> that back into a file path.  Nor would it be guaranteed to be unique.

In fact, if you have 10,001 files it is absolutely guaranteed to have at
least one duplicate entry.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
IM: darcy at Vex.Net