Using filepath method to identify an .html page

Ferrous Cranus nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:47:16 EST 2013

Τη Τρίτη, 22 Ιανουαρίου 2013 2:29:21 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Dave Angel έγραψε:
> On 01/22/2013 07:02 AM, Ferrous Cranus wrote:
>
> > # ====================================================================================================================================
>
> > # produce a hash string based on html page's filepath and convert it to an integer, that will then be used to identify the page itself
>
> > # ====================================================================================================================================
>

> > pin = int( hashlib.md5( htmlpage ) )
>

> > This fails. why?
>

> > htmlpage = a string respresenting the absolute path of the requested .html file
>
> > hashlib.md5( htmlpage ) = conversion of the above string to a hashed string
>
> > int( hashlib.md5( htmlpage ) ) = conversion of the above hashed string to a number
>

> > Why this fails?
>

> Is your copy/paste broken?  It could be useful to actually show in what
>
> way it "fails."
>

> The md5 method produces a "HASH object", not a string.  So int() cannot
>
> process that.
>

> To produce a digest string from the hash object, you want to call
>
> hexdigest() method.  The result of that is a hex literal string.  So you
>
> cannot just call int() on it, since that defaults to decimal.
>

> To convert a hex string to an int, you need the extra parameter of int:
>

>     int(mystring, 16)
>

> Now, see if you can piece it together.

htmlpage = a string respresenting the absolute path of the requested .html file

What i want to do, is to associate a number to an html page's absolute path for to be able to use that number for my database relations instead of the BIG absolute path string.

so to get an integer out of a string i would just have to type:

pin = int( htmlpage )

But would that be unique?