handling return codes from CTYPES

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Mon Jan 21 10:14:15 EST 2013

On 13-01-21 05:46 AM, Steve Simmons wrote:

> errors='strict'))
> InitScanLib Result:   65535
> >>>

> I've tried declaring initResult as c_short by: inserting...

> ... before the call to sLib.InitScanLib but I still get the same
> response (65535).
That's because you've just discarded the object you created.

What you wanted was, I believe:

     initScanLib = sLib.InitScanLib
     initScanLib.restype = c_short

     initResult = initScanLib( ... )

i.e. you tell the initScanLib function how to coerce its result-type.
*Some* C functions take a pointer to a data-value to fill in their data,
but not *your* function.  That pattern looks like:

     result = c_short(0)
     my_ctypes_function( ..., byref(result) )
     print result.value

i.e. you have to pass the variable into the function (as a
reference/pointer).

HTH,
Mike

   Mike C. Fletcher