Vote tallying...

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Jan 19 12:46:33 EST 2013

On 01/18/13 23:19, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:54:32 -0400, Zero Piraeus <schesis at gmail.com>
>> On 18 January 2013 16:57, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> - there are just some serious what-the-heck's in MySQL's handling of some
>>> edge cases regarding NULL values and dates (Feb 31st anybody).  There's a
>>> good compilation of them at http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
>>
>> I'm getting the following from that URL:
>>
>>      ERROR: database not available
>>
>> ... which, as irony goes, is kinda delicious :-)
>>
> 	Loads for me... Though the page does state that it applies to MySQL
> 4.1 and earlier, and not to the current 5.x series (which added prepared
> queries, stored procedures, and triggers as I recall).
>
> 	And the first link in the text is to:
> http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html <G>

The site was up for me both times I hit it, but it doesn't mean that
Zero Piraeus didn't get a DB error (which *is* quite an amusing
error in the context of the subject matter).

Reading the MySQL gotchas and comparing it to the PostgreSQL
gotchas, the MySQL ones scare the pants off my inner DBA, while the
PostgreSQL ones are mostly "if you're running at 6+yr old version of
the software, there are some peculiar behaviors".

-tkc