Vote tallying...

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Jan 18 15:57:32 EST 2013

On 01/18/13 13:26, Kwpolska wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Nick Cash wrote:
>> MySQL would certainly be fine, although I always recommend PostgreSQL over it.
>
> Bonus question, why?

I write only from my personal experience, but the following might be
reasons that Nick recommends PostgreSQL over MySQL:

- Postgres has a history of putting SQL/database integrity first
where MySQL emphasized speed over correctness.

- it took a long time for MySQL to add more complex transactions and
complex queries (things got a bit better in the 5.1 iterations of MySQL)

- better support in Postgres for FOREIGN KEY constraints

- a more linear scaling (the performance graphs I've seen for MySQL
tend to buckle at a certain point, while the PSQL graphs for the
same load tend to be more linear)

- Postgres has a better track record of scaling across multiple
processors/cores

- there are just some serious what-the-heck's in MySQL's handling of
some edge cases regarding NULL values and dates (Feb 31st anybody).
  There's a good compilation of them at [1].  Any one of them is
enough to make me queasy at the idea of entrusting my data to it.

- I'm not sure I'd trust MySQL under Oracle these days having seen
how they (don't) promote it

I do find that administering MySQL is just a bit less headache, but
at a certain level of administration needs, Postgres offers more
features.

Just my 0.02 of whatever your local currency is :-)

-tkc

[1]
http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html