Vote tallying...

Kushal Kumaran kushal.kumaran+python at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:25:15 EST 2013

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> * MySQL's development has suffered under Sun, and become virtually
>>   moribund under Oracle. They operate as a closed shop, occasionally
>>   tossing GPL-licensed releases over the wall, with very little input
>>   accepted from the community.
>
> I don't know whether it's a legit concern or pure FUD, but it's been
> suggested that since the MySQL license is GPL and not LGPL, any code
> that links against it is forced to be GPL too. I'm not sure how far
> that goes (eg if you're using it from Python, at what point does it
> stop being "code linked to GPL code" and start being a discrete
> system), and IANAL, but I prefer to work with systems with more
> freedom in their licensing. PostgreSQL is under a BSD-like license, so
> it can be used without issues.

Oracle have a page about this:
http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

> Also, and a completely irrelevant point but maybe of curiosity: It's
> perfectly possible to use PostgreSQL without linking against libpq (by
> reimplementing the wire protocol - Pike's pgsql module does that), but
> I've never heard of anyone doing that with MySQL. Perhaps if someone
> cared, they could release a non-GPL equivalent to libmysql and that
> would solve this problem. Not gonna be me, though, I'm quite happy
> with PG 9.1.

As far as python goes, there are at least two pure-python
implementations of the mysql protocol available:

- https://github.com/petehunt/PyMySQL (MIT license)

- https://launchpad.net/myconnpy (GPL)

The second one is an "official" Oracle project.  Both of them support
python 3 as well.

--
regards,
kushal