[HELP!] a doubt about entering password in python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 17 22:12:00 EST 2013

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:49:30 +0800, douxin wrote:

>     i use Popen to execute "su -c 'fdisk -l'" in sub process,and
>     assigned subprocess.PIPE to stdin,stdout i tried to enter password
>     by doing "stdin.write("password"+"\n")" and i expected i could get
>     the output of "fdisk -l" by doing "stdout.read()"
>     it didn't work.
>
>     will somebody tell me what is going on with that?

Would you like us to guess what happened? I love guessing games!

My guess is that it output "su: incorrect password", which means you have
the wrong password. Is that it?

If not, my guess is that it output "fdisk: command not found", in which
case your system is broken and the fdisk binary is missing or not on the
PATH. Am I close?

Last guess: you got a Python traceback with an error:

NameError: name 'subprocess' is not defined

You need to import the subprocess first.

If none of my guesses are correct, could we have some hints? Perhaps show
us the actual code you are using, and the actual results, copied and
pasted exactly.

Thank you.

--
Steven