Thorough Python 2.7.3 Windows Build Documentation?

Leonard, Arah Arah.Leonard at bruker-axs.com
Thu Jan 17 13:25:06 EST 2013

>Try dumping the build configuration parameters:
>
>   >>> import pprint, sysconfig
>   >>> pprint.pprint(sysconfig.get_config_vars())
>
>Then you can compare the existing version with yours.

I would absolutely love to be able to do that and have it work.  Most unfortunately that only works on *nix OSes.  The Python sysconfig module's config vars are almost non-existent on Windows with a really tiny and almost useless subset.  :(  I really wish someone would fix that, but hey, it's free so I'm not complaining.  Just wishing.  In case anyone else didn't know that, here's the results containing the complete and total list of config vars on Windows:

>>> import pprint, sysconfig
>>> pprint.pprint(sysconfig.get_config_vars())
{'BINDIR': 'C:\\Python27',
 'BINLIBDEST': 'C:\\Python27\\Lib',
 'EXE': '.exe',
 'INCLUDEPY': 'C:\\Python27\\Include',
 'LIBDEST': 'C:\\Python27\\Lib',
 'SO': '.pyd',
 'VERSION': '27',
 'base': 'C:\\Python27',
 'exec_prefix': 'C:\\Python27',
 'platbase': 'C:\\Python27',
 'prefix': 'C:\\Python27',
 'projectbase': 'C:\\Python27',
 'py_version': '2.7.3',
 'py_version_nodot': '27',
 'py_version_short': '2.7',
 'srcdir': 'C:\\Python27',
 'userbase': 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Application Data\\Python'}

That's it.  It's actually also a common cause of problems in distutils and the likes when people write their module installers for Linux and never test those scriptlets on Windows, not realizing that in Python on Windows the sysconfig / distutils.sysconfig config vars are hamstrung like that.