Thorough Python 2.7.3 Windows Build Documentation?

Leonard, Arah Arah.Leonard at bruker-axs.com
Thu Jan 17 12:09:42 EST 2013

> I think the official binaries use the PGO build. Be sure to run all tests thoroughly, we've had problems in with the PGO build in 3.3.

	Thanks Stefan.  I hope that's not the case.   PGO seems something of an anathema from well-documented builds.  Unless I'm missing something, if PGO is used it means that without knowing the specific CPU of the build machine there would be no way to reliably duplicate the build except by accident.  Even with knowing, unless you have the same CPU...

	But after benchmarking a PGO build made by running the build_pgo.bat it turns out that it made no difference whatsoever to my performance loss.  Within an acceptable statistical variation in the benchmark tool itself my PGO build performed identically to my regular build.  Which means that I'm still running 30% slower than the precompiled binaries somehow even though I'm theoretically using the right compiler.  And which also means that I can neither confirm nor deny if the released precompiled binaries are PGO builds or not.

	It's one of those days I guess.  But thanks anyway.  I appreciate the useful input.  And yes, absolutely thorough testing is on the agenda.  :)

Sincerely,
Arah Leonard