PyWart: Exception error paths far too verbose

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:34:56 EST 2013

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:51:31 PM UTC-6, Terry Reedy wrote:
> I missed in your original post that you only want one consistent
> personal library path abbreviated, leaving everything else alone. So the
> above is not applicable. And a custom excepthook very easy.
>
> How should the traceback mechanism -will- know what that path is?

Well, the jury is still deliberating on the specifics, however, as for myself, i would sway more to the /explicit/ side.

A few possibilities include:

 * A configuration file. Python already checks the current
   directory for ".pth" files, which it then reads and adds
   the contained paths to sys.path --  most folks stopped
   typing commands OVER and OVER on the commandline many
   years ago. But to each his own.

 * A runtime command or keyword placed in a script (YUCK!)

 * A commandline switch (only good for members of the
   python historical society.)