PyWart: Exception error paths far too verbose

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 09:20:12 EST 2013

On 01/15/2013 10:59 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> Why do i need to see "C:\users\user\documents\python\lib" EVERY time?

You're thinking about things from a very windows-centric point of view.

There are many cases where as a developer I need to see the full paths.
 My modules are not always going to be in a common subfolder.  Django
apps, for example, live in an arbitrary folder, in my case,
/var/www/apps on my web server.  Sometimes they live in my home projects
folder.  Django itself lives partly in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
and partly in /usr/share/django.  Granted most of my errors are going to
happen in my own code, which is in /var/www/apps/blah.  But occasionally
I might uncover a django bug (less likely of course).  Seeing the full
path is essential for me.  As well, runtime errors get logged as the
system is serving, and they could come from any of my apps, depending on
how bad a programmer I am.

Finally, in an ideal world, all runtime errors should be trapped by the
program.  The end user should never see them.  Sure in my django apps
things go south from time to time.  But typically the trace gets logged
to a file, and the end user sees a 503 error, and gives me a call.
Ideally of course, the code should recover gracefully and let the user
do most of what he wants.

Traces are for developers, not users.