atexit handler in IDLE?

Steve Spicklemire steve at spvi.com
Tue Jan 15 14:38:15 EST 2013

On Jan 15, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Steve Spicklemire <steve at spvi.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get this program, which works on the command line, to run correctly in the IDLE environment:
>>
>> import atexit
>>
>> print "This is my program"
>>
>> def exit_func():
>>    print "OK.. that's all folks!"
>>
>> atexit.register(exit_func)
>>
>> print "Program is ending..."
>
> You know, I think I looked at this problem once.  It was rather
> strange, but I think you need to create a tempfile, so that Python
> knows that IDLE is running.   There's an item for this in IDLE's TODO
> list.  I was going to implement it, which is fairly east, but never
> got to it.
>
> mark
> --

I don't really know how to use this. Is there a detailed todo list somewhere? I did find this tantalizing bit in news.txt, but when I tried to test it (by setting to option to false), I couldn't get it to work. Is there a set of tests for idle that might exercise this option?

What's New in IDLEfork 0.9b1?

*Release date: 02-Jun-2003*

- Added the delete-exitfunc option to config-main.def.  (This option is not
  included in the Options dialog.)  Setting this to True (the default) will
  cause IDLE to not run sys.exitfunc/atexit when the subprocess exits.