PyWart (Terminolgy): "Class"

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jan 14 21:08:38 EST 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 07:57:58 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> Rick Johnson is a well-known troll.

I disagree that Rick is a troll. Trolling requires that the troll makes
statements that he doesn't believe are true, simply in order to get a
response. I do not believe that Rick is doing that. I think he simply has
an imperfect, and poor, understanding of Python design principles,
coupled with astonishingly high levels of arrogance and self-superiority.
Pure Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

If I believed he was *dishonestly playing dumb to gain reactions*, then I
would not bother to engage with him. But I truly believe that he is not
beyond all hope. His posts on tkinter sometimes demonstrate actual
knowledge. He is clearly articulate and knows more than one programming
language -- although probably not *well*.

But, I must admit, the sheer power of Rick's Reality Denial Field often
defeats me. In frustration I too often killfile him so I don't have to
read his screeds. So I certainly don't blame others who do the same.

> Opinion is divided as to the best
> way to handle the matter; one school follows the "Don't feed the trolls"
> motto and ignores him, the other trolls him right back.

I object to that characterisation. I am not dishonestly making
provocative statements when I engage with Rick.

--
Steven