Thought of the day

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Mon Jan 14 00:31:59 EST 2013

On 01/13/2013 11:16 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> A programmer had a problem, and thought Now he has "I know, I'll solve
> two it with threads!" problems.

++10

I've been thinking about threads lately, and have come to the tentative
conclusion that they're a solution which has outlived its usefulness for
99% of the use cases.  Much like the Windows 3.1 model of memory usage,
where all memory was shared, and apps promised not to step too hard on
each other.  Or the "640k is more memory than any application will ever
need" notion.

When you multiprocess, everything is private except those things you
work at sharing.  When you multithread, everything is shared, and you
promise not to intentionally do anything too nasty with the ability.

--

DaveA