Beowulf clusters

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 21:46:13 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 January 2013 02:33, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lol, well that's why I'm asking.  I don't see how they can do it
>> without considerable difficulties.
>
> What do you want the GIL for across machines? The normal purpose of
> the GIL is to preserve the integrity of Python's in-memory data
> structures. These are only accessible within one process so what good
> would a multi-process GIL be?

Excuse me, I actually thought you knew what you were talking about.  A
Beowulf cluster, by it's nature, is across many-machines.  Now you
can't have a GIL and a single python program across many-machines
without some tricks.  I'm just wondering how (or if) they solved that
problem....

mark