Keyboard hook in linux

K. Elo maillists at nic.fi
Sun Jan 13 11:13:28 EST 2013

Hi!

I am working on a small console app for linux. The idea is to display
some sensor values and the screen should update itself in, say, every 10
seconds.

The user should have the possibly to change some configurations or gwt
help by pressing different keys (like you can do when running e.g.
'top'). In other words: the program should NOT wait for the keypress (so
input() is not the solution), but simply capture keypresses and act
accordingly. If no key is pressed, the program should continue updating
the screen.

Practically I am looking for something similar than Pascal's
"keypressed" function
(http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/crt/keypressed.html). The
python code would be something like this: