Compiling native extensions with Visual Studio 2012?

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sat Jan 12 09:34:02 EST 2013

Am 12.01.2013 08:45, schrieb Alec Taylor:
> There have been various threads for MSVC 2010[1][2], but the most
> recent thing I found for MSVC 2012 was [3]… from 6 months ago.
>
> Basically I want to be able to compile bcrypt—and yes I should be
> using Keccak—x64 binaries on Windows x64.
>
> There are other packages also which I will benefit from, namely I
> won't need to use the unofficial setup files and will finally be able
> to use virtualenv.
>
> So anyway, can I get an update on the status of MSVC 2010 and MSVC
> 2012 compatibility?

The problem is that every MSVC has its own libc / CRT (msvcrt.dll) with
its own implementations of malloc(), FILE pointer, thread local storage,
errno etc. You shouldn't mix multiple CRTs in one program as this may
lead to crashes and hard to find bugs.

Why do you want to compile your own Keccak / SHA-3 binaries anyway? I
have build and released binaries for X86 and X86_64 Windows and for
Python 2.6 and 3.3. For Python 3.4 I'm working on a PEP about the
integration of pbkdf2, bcrypt and scrypt into Python's stdlib.

Christian