Query windows event log with python

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Jan 14 04:07:06 EST 2013

On 13/01/2013 05:55, robey.lawrence at gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:34:01 PM UTC+11, Tim Golden wrote:
>> On 12/01/2013 06:09, email.address at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to write a short program to query the windows event
>>
>>> log.
>>

>>> It needs to ask the user for input for The event type (Critical,
>>
>>> Error, and Information), and the user needs to be able to specify
>>
>>> date since when they want to view results.
>>

>>> I found this piece of code to start from,
>>

>> [... snip ...]
>>

>> Well it looks like you have everything you need. Was there a
>> specific
>>
>> question you wanted to ask?
>>

>> TJG
>
> yes, I would like to run it in Command prompt and ask the user at the
> time what type and date of Event they would like to view. so i was
> wondering where in the code I could put something like
> "var=raw_input"

Ok, so your query isn't so much with accessing the event log as
with writing Python code at all. If you haven't already, could I suggest
the Python tutorial here:

  http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/

or, if that one doesn't suit, just search for "Python tutorial" to find
something which fits your brain.

Feel free to post back here with questions once you've got started.

TJG