PyWart: Module access syntax

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 02:36:43 EST 2013

On 12 Jan, 14:34, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you don't know which names are modules and which names are members
> then how could a programmer possibly use the API in an intelligent way

Your initial argument is that with import's current dot notation, it's
not obvious which is a module or not without accessing the
documentation.

You then say it's necessary to know which is which in order to use
your suggested dot/colon notation.

So what are you trying to achieve here? Your 'solution' requires
someone to look up the documentation and know what is what, whereas
the current approach _doesn't_. Anything can be imported into the
current scope, and interrogated there without recourse to
documentation. Your approach places onerous requirements on everyone
just to satisfy some arbitrary rule-set you've pulled out of your
rectum.

It's not up to _my_ code to identify how _supporting libraries_ are
structured. It just wants to import and use them. Which is, you know,
the pragmatic, get-things-done-over-endless-wanking-on-the-mailing-
list approach that Python is famous for.

You're trolling again, plain & simple.