average time calculation??

Thomas Boell tboell at domain.invalid
Sat Jan 12 10:32:36 EST 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:50:37 -0800 (PST)
pmec <pcurad01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there guys i've got a script that's suppose to find the average of two times as strings. The times are in minutes:seconds:milliseconds
> i'm doing ok in printing the right minutes and seconds my problem is with the milliseconds.
>
> Example if i have 00:02:20 and 00:04:40 the average will be 00:03:30 or 00:02:00 and 00:03:00 will be 00:02:30

This is how I would probably go about it:
 Convert your strings to floating point values which describe the time
 in seconds. Look at string.split() if you do it by hand. You could also
 use a regular expression ('re' module).
 Then, calculate the average: (a+b)*0.5
 Then, convert back to your string format if you must.

This may sound like more work at first but it is probably easier and
less error-prone than messing with those separate values.

Make sure you properly understand the string format first.
minutes:seconds:milliseconds sounds unusual to me, but if you know for
certain that is the format, then it is :)