RIse and fall of languages in 2012

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:42:49 EST 2013

On 01/10/2013 12:23 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> "In general-purpose scripting languages, Python continues to grow slowly,
> JavaScript and Ruby are treading water, and Perl continues its long
> decline. According to Google trends, the number of searches for Perl is
> 19% of what it was in 2004. Its declining role in open-source communities
> further cements the perception that it's in an irretrievable tailspin.
> One should always be careful pronouncing a language dead or dying,
> because rare resurrections have occurred: JavaScript and Objective-C
> being two stand-out cases. However, Perl is unlikely to see such a new
> lease on life because of direct competition from Python, which is
> considerably more popular (whereas Objective-C and JavaScript had no
> direct equivalents when they came back)."
>
> http://www.drdobbs.com/jvm/the-rise-and-fall-of-languages-in-2012/240145800
>

> And from the TIOBE Index, Python is steady at number 8:
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

The TIOBE index is meaningless.  Since it's based on google searches,
one could probably guess that any language that is awkward and difficult
will require more searches to figure out how to use the thing.  Thus of
course C is top!  Especially if ranked by sarcastic queries like, "C
sucks," and "why does C suck so much."

Javascript is doing much more than just "treading water."  Javascript
may not be glamorous but it is *the* glue that makes the web run.  Funny
to see such a reputable journal make such an absurd statement.  I can
buy that Perl is in a slow decline.  Certainly I'd use Python for the
same tasks that people used to use Perl for.  In short I see no rise and
fall of languages in 2012.  Seems like business as usual, and the usual
suspects continue to get steady use.