Why BOM in logging message?

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed Jan 9 18:19:14 EST 2013

In <kcksg2$bkp$1 at panix2.panix.com> roy at panix.com (Roy Smith) writes:

> What's weird is that two of the servers, and only those two, stick a
> BOM (Byte Order Mark) in front of the message they log.  It shows up
> in syslog as:

> 2013-01-09T00:00:00+00:00 web5.songza.com <U+FEFF>2013-01-0900:00:00,754 [18979]: [etc...]

I worked on an application that would insert a BOM in syslog messages if
the logged message contained unicode, but not if it was plain ascii.

Not sure if this relates to your issue, but it's similar enough that it
seemed worth mentioning.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears