socket.makefile raises ValueError when mode = 'rt'

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Jan 9 09:14:46 EST 2013

Op 01/09/13 14:54, Dave Angel schreef:
> On 01/09/2013 08:22 AM, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> This is using python 3.2.
>> But the documentation states:
>> socket.makefile(mode='r', buffering=None, *, encoding=None, errors=None,
>> newline=None)
>>     Return a file object associated with the socket. The exact returned
>> type depends on the arguments given to makefile(). These arguments are
>> interpreted the same way as by the built-in open() function.
>>
>> And since 't' is allowed in the mode of the built-in open() function I
>> would consider this a bug.
>> Unless I am missing something?
> I believe that 't' was a new addition to mode, for Python 3.x     So
> perhaps the socket library hasn't kept consistent with it.
>
> I don't really know the socket library.  Does it even support text
> mode?  Does that make sense?  Remember that text mode means a different
> thing in 3.x than it did in 2.x
As far as I understand the code, it does support text. This is part of
the makefile method.

   def makefile(self, mode="r", buffering=None, *,
                 encoding=None, errors=None, newline=None):

        for c in mode:
            if c not in {"r", "w", "b"}:
                raise ValueError("invalid mode %r (only r, w, b allowed)")
        writing = "w" in mode
        reading = "r" in mode or not writing
        assert reading or writing
        binary = "b" in mode
        if binary:
            return buffer
        text = io.TextIOWrapper(buffer, encoding, errors, newline)
        text.mode = mode
        return text

So it seems that if the mode is not binary an io.TextIOWrapper is
returned. That indicates to me that
text mode is supported.

--
Antoon Pardon