Re: what’s the difference between socket.send() and socket.sendall() ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 10:54:49 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>   once was on a maths mailing list for about three years before I
>   realised that the most prolific and helpful person there was as
>   blind as a bat.

And that, I think, is what s/he would have most wanted: three years
(more, most likely) without any sort of special treatment. It's all
very well to talk about anti-discrimination laws, but on the internet,
nobody knows you're a bat, if I can mangle that expression without
offending people. We have some excellent people on a couple of MUDs
I'm on who are, similarly, blind and using screen-readers. Again, you
don't even know that that's the case until/unless a question comes out
about some piece of ASCII art (which there's a very VERY little of in
Threshold), or some client-specific question hints at the fact that
s/he is using one of the reader-friendly clients (which are fairly
ugly to the sighted).

As to the use of color for emphasis, though - I don't think the OP
used it like that. I've no idea what the significance of white-on-blue
words was, there; it completely eludes me. Maybe he was sending a
secret message in the color codes? In any case, Steven's eight reasons
are absolutely right; when HTML code isn't adding information, it
should be stripped, and when it is adding information, you risk a
large proportion of people not seeing it. So there's never a good time
to use HTML.

ChrisA