Numpy outlier removal

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:29:27 EST 2013

On 7 January 2013 01:46, Steven D'Aprano
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 19:44:08 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> I have a dataset that consists of a dict with text descriptions and
>> values that are integers. If required, I collect the values into a list
>> and create a numpy array running it through a simple routine:
>>
>> data[abs(data - mean(data)) < m * std(data)]
>>
>> where m is the number of std deviations to include.
>
> I'm not sure that this approach is statistically robust. No, let me be
> even more assertive: I'm sure that this approach is NOT statistically
> robust, and may be scientifically dubious.

Whether or not this is "statistically robust" requires more
explanation about the OP's intention. Thus far, the OP has not given
any reason/motivation for excluding data or even for having any data
in the first place! It's hard to say whether any technique applied is
really accurate/robust without knowing *anything* about the purpose of
the operation.

Oscar