Problem with Unicode char in Python 3.3.0

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:12:57 EST 2013

On 1/7/2013 7:57 AM, Franck Ditter wrote:

> <<< print('\U0001d11e')
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
>      print('\U0001d11e')
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'UCS-2' codec can't encode character '\U0001d11e'
> in position 0: Non-BMP character not supported in Tk

The message comes from printing to a tk text widget (the IDLE shell),
not from creating the 1 char string. c = '\U0001d11e' works fine. When
you have problems with creating and printing unicode, *separate*
creating from printing to see where the problem is. (I do not know if
the brand new tcl/tk 8.6 is any better.)

The windows console also chokes, but with a different message.

 >>> c='\U0001d11e'
 >>> print(c)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "C:\Programs\Python33\lib\encodings\cp437.py", line 19, in encode
     return codecs.charmap_encode(input,self.errors,encoding_map)[0]
UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character '\U0001d11e'
in posit
ion 0: character maps to <undefined>

Yes, this is very annoying, especially in Win 7.

--
Terry Jan Reedy