Newbie problem with Python pandas

RueTheDay nospam at nospam.com
Sun Jan 6 11:36:35 EST 2013

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 08:05:59 -0800, Miki Tebeka wrote:

> On Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:57:17 AM UTC-8, RueTheDay wrote:
>> I am getting the following error when running on Python 2.7 on Ubuntu
>> 12.04:
>> >>>>>>

>> AttributeError: 'Series' object has no attribute 'str'
> I would *guess* that  you have an older version of pandas on your Linux
> machine.
> Try "print(pd.__version__)" to see which version you have.
>
> Also, trying asking over at
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/pydata which is more
> dedicated to pandas.

Thank you!  That was it.  I had 0.7 installed (the latest in the Ubuntu
repository).  I downloaded and manually installed 0.10 and now it's
working.  Coincidentally, this also fixed a problem I was having with
running a matplotlib plot function against a pandas Data Frame (worked
with some chart types but not others).

I'm starting to understand why people rely on easy_install and pip.
Thanks again.