'subprocess.check_output' extra new line?

sbremal at hotmail.com sbremal at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:51:33 EST 2013

Very good point, you are absolutely right:

# cygpath C:\\ | od -c
0000000   /   c   y   g   d   r   i   v   e   /   c  \n
0000014

'bash' manual also confirms it:

   Command Substitution
       Command substitution allows the output of a command to replace  the  command  name.   There  are  two
       forms:
              $(command)
       or
              `command`
       Bash  performs  the  expansion  by  executing command and replacing the command substitution with the
--->       standard output of the command, with any  trailing  newlines  deleted.   Embedded  newlines  are  not
       deleted,  but they may be removed during word splitting.  The command substitution $(cat file) can be
       replaced by the equivalent but faster $(< file).
       When the old-style backquote form of substitution is used,  backslash  retains  its  literal  meaning
       except  when  followed by $, `, or \.  The first backquote not preceded by a backslash terminates the
       command substitution.  When using the $(command) form, all characters between the parentheses make up
       the command; none are treated specially.
       Command  substitutions may be nested.  To nest when using the backquoted form, escape the inner back-
       quotes with backslashes.
       If the substitution appears within double quotes, word splitting and pathname expansion are not  per-
       formed on the results.

Cheers
B.