Missing something obvious with python-requests

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:24:30 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Hans Mulder <hansmu at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> It the proxy URL is http://192.168.24.25/, then the client should send
> GET requests to the proxy in both cases, and the proxy should send GET
> or CONNECT to the origin server, depending on whether origin URL uses
> SSL.
>
> If the proxy URL is https://192.168.24.25/, then the client should send
> CONNECT requests to the proxy, and the proxy should send GET or CONNECT
> as appropriate.

Are you sure? This seems backward. As I understand it, a GET request
to a proxy triggers a GET request to the origin server, and a CONNECT
request to a proxy triggers a TCP socket connection to the origin host
(which may not even be an HTTP/HTTPS server). This has nothing to do
with the protocol used between the client and the proxy.

ChrisA