Creating interactive command-line Python app?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Jan 3 09:24:20 EST 2013

(original post from planetthoughtful didn't seem to arrive here, so
replying to Bob's reply)

> Newbie to Python, and I'm wondering if it's possible to create a
> Python console app that prompts for further input on the command
> line when run (in Windows XP, if that's important)?

While Bob's suggestion of "cliff" sounds interesting, Python also
offers the "cmd" module[1] in the standard library which does most
of what I've needed in the past.  If you've got the readline library
available, it also supports autocompletion and command-line history
which is a nice bonus.

-tkc

[1]
http://docs.python.org/2/library/cmd.html # py2.x