Python is awesome (Project Euler)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Jan 2 21:38:19 EST 2013

In article <akjf2sFsiv8U3 at mid.individual.net>,
 Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:

> On 2012-12-31, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> > There's a problem I just worked where you need to find the last
> > 10 digits of some million-digit prime.  Python's long ints
> > don't help you there.  What does help you is figuring out a way
> > to solve the problem that's not brute-force.  I think that's
> > what Euler is all about.
>
> I agree. The most interesting part of participating is finding
> out how my solution could've been improved

Yeah, tell me about it.  I was feeling pretty good about solving a
three-digit problem (http://projecteuler.net/problem=104).  I made some
(so I thought) clever optimizations and got the answer in a little over
a minute of run time.

Then I looked at the discussion thread and discovered people were
reporting their solution times in milli-seconds :-(