Using mktime to convert date to seconds since epoch - omitting elements from the tuple?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 09:51:15 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> PPS: Some additional hints for staying sane while working with dates:

I assume you mean timestamps. A date doesn't need to worry about UTC
the way a timestamp does. Beyond that, I agree with most of your
comments.

> 3) Run all your servers with their timezones set to UTC.

Not strictly necessary imo; as long as your application knows that it
needs to work in UTC, it doesn't matter what the OS works in. But yes,
it is a convenience.

> 7) If it's absolutely impossible to obey rule #6, run away from the
> project.

Absolutely.

ChrisA