pylint, was Re: pygame - importing GL - very bad...

someone newsboost at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:31:15 EST 2013

On 01/02/2013 08:31 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, same applies to most linters I think. You end up disagreeing
>> with the author on half the points. Oh well. Doesn't make the tool
>> useless, just means you need to fiddle with it to get it how you want
>> it.
>
> It's a lot less work to disable a check than to implement a desired
> check that is missing, so to me it's better that a linter do too much
> by default than not enough.

I just started using pylint and some of the stuff it came up with is
REALLY good - so I'll definately use pylint, pep8 (and friends) more in
the future. And I think I'll also get to a point where I'll disable some
of the checks - as one of you wrote: How I name my variables is (maybe)
my own business and for instance I like a short variable name once in a
while, e.g. "rx", "ry", "rz" for rotation around x- y- and z-axises and
these variable names should not be changed.

But can I ask you something: English is not my native language and I
looked up what "linter" means - but it's not in my dictionary. What doet
"linter" mean ?

I don't suppose these exlanations are the same as you would give, in the
context you're using?

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/linter
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/american/linter
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/linter