pylint, was Re: pygame - importing GL - very bad...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:57:12 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay, I have to ask... why? Does it have an exception for names of classes?
>
> Yes, and for module-level functions.

Oh, okay. So the check's a lot more specific than the message implies
- it applies only to non-callable module level names. I guess that's
reasonable.

>> I don't like linters that enforce too much style. Catch things that
>> might be mis-coded (like C's classic "if (x = 1)"), but don't complain
>> about my names. They're MY business.
>
> pylint is configurable though, so you can disable any warnings you
> don't care about.  My pylint macro has a fairly large number of -d
> options in it.

Yeah, same applies to most linters I think. You end up disagreeing
with the author on half the points. Oh well. Doesn't make the tool
useless, just means you need to fiddle with it to get it how you want
it.

ChrisA