pygame - importing GL - very bad...

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 08:27:19 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM, someone <newsboost at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can find good references on the subject in various
>> places, but call-by-reference as implemented in Pascal simply doesn't
>> exist in most modern languages, because its semantics are way
>> confusing. The name given to this technique varies; here's a couple of
>> links:
>>
>> http://effbot.org/zone/call-by-object.htm
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_strategy#Call_by_sharing
>
> If you don't like calling it "pass-by-reference", perhaps you prefer calling
> it: “call by object reference“...  From:
> http://effbot.org/zone/call-by-object.htm
>
> In any case I think we understand each other.

That's one of the links I just posted :) It's not just a naming
difference, though. With Pascal's pass-by-reference semantics, this
code would act differently:

def foo(x):
  x = 5

a = 2
foo(a)
print(a)

Python prints 2, because the assignment to x just rebinds the name
inside foo. True pass-by-reference actually changes the caller's
variable. C can achieve this by means of pointers; in Python, you can
pass and mutate a list, thus:

def foo(x):
  x[0] = 5 # Dereference the pointer, kinda

x=[None] # Declare a pointer variable, ish
x[0] = 2
foo(x) # Don't forget to drop the [0] when passing the pointer to
another function
print(x[0]) # Prints 5. See? We have pass-by-reference!

But otherwise, rebinding names in the function has no effect on
anything outside. Among other things, this guarantees that, in any
situation, a name referencing an object can be perfectly substituted
for any other name referencing the same object, or any other way of
accessing the object.

def foo(lst):
  lst[0]=len(lst)

x = [10,20,30]
y = x
foo(x) # These two...
foo(y) # ... are identical!

This is a philosophy that extends through the rest of the language. A
function returning a list can be directly dereferenced, as can a list
literal:

def foo():
  return [0,1,4,9,16]

print( ["Hello","world!","Testing","Testing","One","Two","Three"][foo()[2]] )

This is a flexibility and power that just doesn't exist in many older
languages (C and PHP, I'm looking at you). Object semantics make more
sense than any other system for a modern high level language, which is
why many of them do things that way.

ChrisA