pygame - importing GL - very bad...

someone newsboost at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:02:52 EST 2013

On 01/02/2013 11:30 PM, Andrew Berg wrote:
> On 2013.01.02 15:57, Michael Torrie wrote:

>> *.  The only place where I've seen an import * that actually belonged
>> was in an __init__.py that brought sub-module symbols into the main
>> package namespace, and even then I figure there's got to be a better way.
> This.
>
> I have some code that imports multiprocessing.connection and I do
> actually type out multiprocessing.connection.Client and it doesn't
> bother me one bit. Code is read a lot more than it is written, even if
> only one person ever sees it. The whole "less typing" thing is absurd,
> especially when IDEs have completion features and stdlib modules share

Until about a week ago, actually I hadn't setup emacs to use code
completion - maybe this will change now because it'll speed things up
and code completion is just a wonderful thing making things easier +
quicker to do. I also setup emacs to do use TAGS and a lot more things now.

> similar or exact function names (is it subprocess.Popen or os.popen? I
> guess the author wanted to save 2 seconds typing while anyone who reads
> it has to spend 5-10 to find out which is being used) . I've been using

Well, this is not a problem for opengl-commands, I think... Normally I
do as you suggest and for the exact same reasons as you write.

> full namespaces since I started learning Python, and I even do it at the
> interactive interpreter because it's just a habit. IMO, "from foo import
> *" should only ever be used for /intentional/ namespace pollution (and
> even then, there are probably better ways to do it).

But I don't do any pollution - only this "format", which was a false
alert. And so far I'm so consequent to only use it for the
opengl-commands. I would deem that this is what most opengl-programmers do.

Try to search for opengl-code out there on the internet... Most people
do as I write I do here, IMHO. But you have a point and generally I
totally agree with you. This is just a particular exception (and the
only one I have) where I disagree, because I do as I think the majority
of opengl-programmers do - based on what I see posted on the internet.