New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Wayne Werner wayne at waynewerner.com
Wed Jan 2 22:20:21 EST 2013

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013, Ramchandra Apte wrote:

> On Friday, 28 December 2012 01:31:16 UTC+5:30, mogul  wrote:
>> 'Aloha!
>>

>> I'm new to python, got 10-20 years perl and C experience, all gained on unix alike machines hacking happily in vi, and later on in vim.
>>

>> Now it's python, and currently mainly on my kubuntu desktop.
>>

>> Do I really need a real IDE, as the windows guys around me say I do, or will vim, git, make and other standalone tools make it the next 20 years too for me?
>>

>> Oh, by the way, after 7 days I'm completely in love with this python thing. I should have made the switch much earlier!
>>

>> /mogul %-)
>
> I use Eclipse only because it has PEP 8 and Pylint integration.
> Ezio Melotti, core Python developer, said in personal chat, that he uses Kate.
> IDEs aren't that useful when coding in Python.

I concur. I think it's because with a language that has 43(?) keywords and
I believe it's 12 different statement types, you can easily fit it all in
your head. What you can't fit in your head is found in the docstrings of
whatever you're using.

Give me an interactive interpreter, vim, and a web browser, and I'm more
than fine.

-W