New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Jan 1 14:02:44 EST 2013

In article <mailman.1528.1357065822.29569.python-list at python.org>,
 Mitya Sirenef <msirenef at lightbird.net> wrote:

> Clunky is the last word I'd use to describe it (ok maybe for Emacs :-)
> I probably remember about 200 commands, plus or minus, but a lot of them
> fit into a consistent scheme which makes them much easier to remember

At some point, it becomes muscle memory, which means you don't even
consciously know what you're typing.  Your brain just says, "delete the
next three words" and your fingers move in some way which causes that to
happen.  This is certainly true with emacs, and I imagine it's just as
true with people who use inferior editors :-)

I used to do a bunch of pair programming with another emacs power user.
Every once in a while, one of us would say something like, "What did you
just do?", when the other performed some emacs technique one of us was
not familiar with.  Invariably, the answer would be, "I don't know", and
you would have to back up and recreate the key sequence.  Or, just run
C-? l, which tells you the last 100 characters you typed.

Case in point.  I use C-? l moderately often, when I make some typo and
I'm not sure what I did wrong.  But, despite the fact that my fingers
now how to perform "show me the last stuff I typed", I had to go hunting
to find the actual keystrokes which does that when typing the above
paragraph :-)