New to python, do I need an IDE or is vim still good enough?

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Fri Jan 4 02:34:43 EST 2013

Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> Hans Mulder <hansmu at xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> Don't bother: Python comes with a free IDE named IDLE.
>
> And any decent Unix-alike (most OSen apart from Windows) comes with its
> own IDE: the shell, a good text editor (Vim or Emacs being the primary
> candidates), and a terminal multiplexor (such as ‘tmux’ or GNU Screen).

Just curious since I read the same thing in a programming book recently
(21st century C). So what's the greatness that terminal multiplexors
offer over tabbed terminals? Especially for software development?

For sure I use screen at the remote end of ssh connections where I don't
want the application like irssi to die if the connection goes down but
other than that?