Largest possible size for executemany() in PEP-249 (Database API)

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 28 17:26:05 EST 2013

Roy Smith:

> _mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1153, "Got a packet bigger than
> 'max_allowed_packet' bytes")
>
> Is there any way (other than trial and error) to know how many records
> I can pass in one call before I blow up?

    Its unlikely to be a limit in the number of records but a limit on
the number of bytes in the serialized command stream. With a deep
understanding of the format you could count bytes until about to go over
and then flush. I'd *guess* that the data is being sent as textual SQL
INSERT statements so you could work out what your insertions look like
as INSERT statements and see how many fit into max_allowed_packet.
max_allowed_packet is probably 1 million so looking like 100 bytes per
INSERT but will depend on data as inserting "Ko" should use less bytes
than inserting "Naragarajan".

    Neil