"Daemonizing" an application.

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Wed Feb 27 08:55:42 EST 2013

On 2/27/13 11:52 AM, Gilles Lenfant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the obscure title, but I can't make short to explain what I'm searching for. :)
>
> I made an app (kind of proxy) that works without UI within it's process. So far, so good.
>
> Now I need to change "live" some controls of this application, without stopping it.
>
> So my app will be split in two :
>
> * A control app (say "appctl") for a console UI
> * A daemon (or agent ?) that runs the core of the app (say "appd"), processing inputs and outputs
>
> What are the best practices to do this ? Examples in a well known Pyhon app I could hack ? Is it possible with standard packages only ?
>
> Thanks in advance fo any pointer.

You can have a look at Circus - https://circus.readthedocs.org which is
a process manager.

"circusctl" is used to control "circusd" using ZeroMQ

The nice thing about zmq as opposed to signals is that you can code your
thing independantly from the transport
then choose which transport fits a situation: TPC (then the ctl can be
on another box), IPC or even ITC

That also means your ctl part can be portable to any platform

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé · http://ziade.org · @tarek_ziade