"Daemonizing" an application.

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Wed Feb 27 07:35:13 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the obscure title, but I can't make short to explain what
> I'm searching for. :)
>
> I made an app (kind of proxy) that works without UI within it's
> process. So far, so good.
>
> Now I need to change "live" some controls of this application,
> without stopping it.
>
> So my app will be split in two :
>
> * A control app (say "appctl") for a console UI
> * A daemon (or agent ?) that runs the core of the app (say "appd"),
> processing inputs and outputs
>
> What are the best practices to do this ? Examples in a well known
> Pyhon app I could hack ? Is it possible with standard packages only
> ?
>
> Thanks in advance fo any pointer.
>
> --
> Gilles Lenant

Hi,

You could use a remote protocol. This can become very easy in python. Is your daemon application written in python ?
Look For xmlrpclib if you want to communicate with client/servers that are not written in python.

If both of them are in python, then pyro would be a good choice.
http://pythonhosted.org/Pyro4/

JM

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.