Project Based python tutorials

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:19:21 EST 2013

On Feb 27, 6:31 pm, Alvin Ghouas <alvin.gho... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet despite my numerouse web searchs for project based tutorials,i cant
> seem to find any good ones.

Welcome to the python list.

Guides on writing large projects are definitely few and far between. I
can only think of a few, but they're all specifically for frameworks
like Plone, and even then are generally not describing overly complex
projects. I think this knowledge is something most programmers gain
through trial & error, and when you're working on a large project you
generally don't have the time to write a tutorial telling someone else
how to do the sort of thing you're doing.

> So, is there anyone out there willing to share some experience?

I have a few recommendations:

1. Read the code of large open-source projects. This is where all the
real project-oriented experience is stored.

2. Find an open-source project you're interested in and start helping
out. Read their bug tracker and see if there's anything you think you
can fix. Become used to submitting patches and working with a team of
developers.

3. Find blogs by developers working on large projects. While not
tutorials as such, you'll learn a lot by reading about what problems
they hit and what they're currently focused on resolving.

Good luck in taking your coding to the next level!