Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Mitya Sirenef msirenef at lightbird.net
Tue Feb 26 13:58:59 EST 2013

On 02/26/2013 07:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> One week ago, "JoePie91" wrote  a blog post challenging the Python
 > community and the state of Python documentation, titled:
 >
 > "The Python documentation is bad, and you should feel bad".
 >
 > http://joepie91.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/the-python-documentation-is-bad-
 > and-you-should-feel-bad/
 >
 > It is valuable to contrast and compare the PHP and Python docs:
 >
 > http://php.net/manual/en/index.php
 > http://www.python.org/doc/
 >
 > There's no doubt that one of PHP's strengths, perhaps its biggest
 > strength, is the good state of documentation. But should we feel bad
 > about Python's docs? I don't think that either the Python documentation
 > or community is as bad as JoePie91 suggests. (Well, I won't speak for
the
 > people on Freenode's #python. It took me approximately three minutes to
 > be banned from there, with no warning or explanation.)
 >
 > Another response to the blog post, by one of the core developers:
 >
 > http://blog.briancurtin.com/posts/why-i-dont-feel-so-bad.html

I think the issue with python documentation is that it ignores the 95/5
rule: 95% of people who land on a module's page are only looking for 5%
of its information. So ideally it'd be separated in two different pages
or two sections of the same page, something like:

Hi, chances are you are the 95% of people who isn't interested in the
intricacies, obscure edge cases et cetera. Here are the few common use
cases for this module:

Hi, the section above obviously did not suit your needs, so you must be
in the 5% who has no choice but to either read through or at least
glance through, or use search, to find what you need in the following
umpteen million of screenfuls:

... * 1000000