Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 08:56:15 EST 2013

In article <mailman.2541.1361884843.2939.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are some issues with the Googleability of the Python docs at the
> moment. It's much easier to find the official page of PHP's docs than
> Python's. Trouble is, the official page of PHP docs is a lot less
> helpful... like he says, it's in some cases flat-out wrong. And then
> you go read the comments underneath in the hope of learning what you
> need to know... and you find a pile of junk even worse than the main
> docs, but with the occasional useful gem so you can't dismiss it out
> of hand. (But it's buried among loads of code whose primary purpose is
> to explain why there's so much bad PHP code out there.)

Having lived through a year of PHP hell, I've developed a theory about
the PHP ecosystem (i.e. docs, forums, user community, etc) vs. the
Python ecosystem.

When people ask PHP questions, the questions tend to be phrased as "what
do I type to get X", and the answers come back that way too.  The forums
are full of, "I had the same problem.  Somebody told me to do this.  I
don't really understand it, but it worked for me and maybe it'll work
for you too".

The Python ecosystem is much more about understanding what's actually
happening.